Escalations / 15 minute wait on notifications

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Thu May 13 16:41:33 CEST 2004

> To have nagios wait 15 minutes before doing anything at all,
> put this in your service definition or template:
>
> max_check_attempts              5
> normal_check_interval           5
> retry_check_interval            3
>
> The service will need to be down for 5 checks at 3 minute
> intervals resulting in an approximate 15 minute delay before
> notification goes out. You can also to it with escalations,
> just set your first_notification to whichever contact attempt
> matches your timing you want based on your
> notification_interval defined for your service.

The problem I've had in the past with the first method is that (correct
me if I'm wrong) Nagios starts to run in serial mode when it starts to
get downed hosts. I'm looking at probably around 1000 active checks from
one server when all is said and done, so that doesn't sound too
attractive...

Anyone have a sample of working escalation code to start with? Thanks!

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
919-538-6326