different contact methods for different events

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed May 12 17:40:20 CEST 2004

Dan Newcombe writes:

> For example, e-mail and page me if a machine is down, but if
> just something like ntp drops on a host, just e-mail me, as I don't want
> lunch interupted for nothing.

You could change the notify-by-pager command to involve a shell script/
perl script/whatever, passing the arguments.  The script would check
the service type and decide whether to page you or discard it.  Further
enhancements, such as building in a list of people who are always paged
or building in a knowledge of when you have your lunch break is left
as an exercise for the reader.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support