Integration of Nagios into Trouble-Ticket-Systems (OTRS)

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu May 6 16:22:42 CEST 2004

> I am quite unhappy with our integration of Nagios into
> our Trouble-Ticket-System (OTRS).
> With the standard standard mail functionality of Nagios
> it is quite uncomfortable as every mail creates a new ticket.
>
> Thats why I wanted to ask if somebody has experiences in
> integration Nagios into a Trouble-Ticket-System, especially into OTRS?
> Has somebody figured out the best way and the stumbling blocks for
> the integration?
>
> The optimum would in my eyes would be some ticket opening
> on WARNINGS or ERRORS, the automatic ticket closing on
> RECOVERYs and the changes of the agent who is working on
> the problem with some comment, when acknowleding a problem.
>
> Thanks for all input,
>
> Matthias

I've integrated Nagios with the TeamTrack trouble ticketing system.
To do this, I created two new contacts, one called noc_failure, and
another called noc_recovery.

The noc_failure contact sends service notifications on Warning &
Critical, and host notifications on Down.

The noc_recovery contact sends service notifications on Critical,
Warning, Unreachable, & Recovery, and host notifications on Unreachable
& Recovery.

The email addresses (different address for failure and recovery) were
created by the NOC, and open and close tickets in the TeamTrack system.
Unfortunately, I can't offer much insight on how this is accomplished,
as I don't deal with that system on a regular basis.

Two caveats:
1) I believe that Nagios generates warnings or possibly errors if the
noc_recovery contact does not have Critical and Warning Service
notification options. I'm not sure if this is still the case, as I have
not made any changes since upgrading to 1.2, but I'm pretty sure that
this is what happened when I originally set it up under 1.1.
2) Acknowledgements will open a separate trouble ticket in the TeamTrack
system. I have not taken the time to determine if Acks are treated as
Service Warnings, Service Criticals, or Host Down notifications, but
instead recommended that the NOC filter out emails with Ack in the
subject.

HTH

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)