How to make use of 2 NICs on server instead of 1

emily zhou zhoue at algonquincollege.com
Tue Mar 30 21:37:47 CEST 2004

Hi Sg,
Thank you so much for giving this clue. I'd really like to listen to you
a little bit more. For sure, if I'll use 2 Nic, they'll be connected to
different networks, in our case is in different VLAN. The issue is that
I have to manually setup routing table (static path) instead of simply
using defaut gateway, which means forcing the Nagios server goes to one
Nic for checking one group of hosts; goes to another Nic when checking
another group of hosts. Is that correct?

Emily

Subhendu Ghosh wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, emily zhou wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm using one Solaris box to monitor 200+ boxes
>> (Unix/NT/Router/Switch/Printers). On Nagios server, we have 2 NICs,
>> right now I only use 1 of them. In order to split the traffic, I
>> intend to use 2 networks, but I just wonder how to conduct bunch of
>> checks going to 1 Nic and others going to another NIC, does anyone
>> have any ideas?
>>

> Depends on your software, switch and routing.
>
> If each nic connects to a different network, then the routing will use
> the appropriate nic.
>
> If they connect to the same network, the OS decides which nic to use.
>
> Optionally, you can configure load balancing connection to switch -
> cisco etherchannel or vlan trunk to carry traffic across both links by
> creating a virtual link.

BEGIN-CANIT-VOTING-LINKS
Spam:        http://mailgate1.algonquincollege.com/canit/b.php?c=s&i=2724887&m=5e422f5f2465
Not spam:    http://mailgate1.algonquincollege.com/canit/b.php?c=n&i=2724887&m=5e422f5f2465