How to make use of 2 NICs on server instead of 1

Jon Lyons jlyons30 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 23:47:15 CEST 2004

Yep, guess if you wanted to get fancy you could setup OSPF/or other routing protocol, set each interface with the same cost? However you should check the routing of your network, the traffic may be leaving one interface and return on the other.. :)

emily zhou <zhoue at algonquincollege.com> wrote:Hi Sg,
Thank you so much for giving this clue. I'd really like to listen to you
a little bit more. For sure, if I'll use 2 Nic, they'll be connected to
different networks, in our case is in different VLAN. The issue is that
I have to manually setup routing table (static path) instead of simply
using defaut gateway, which means forcing the Nagios server goes to one
Nic for checking one group of hosts; goes to another Nic when checking
another group of hosts. Is that correct?

Emily

Subhendu Ghosh wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, emily zhou wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm using one Solaris box to monitor 200+ boxes
>> (Unix/NT/Router/Switch/Printers). On Nagios server, we have 2 NICs,
>> right now I only use 1 of them. In order to split the traffic, I
>> intend to use 2 networks, but I just wonder how to conduct bunch of
>> checks going to 1 Nic and others going to another NIC, does anyone
>> have any ideas?
>>

> Depends on your software, switch and routing.
>
> If each nic connects to a different network, then the routing will use
> the appropriate nic.
>
> If they connect to the same network, the OS decides which nic to use.
>
> Optionally, you can configure load balancing connection to switch -
> cisco etherchannel or vlan trunk to carry traffic across both links by
> creating a virtual link.

BEGIN-CANIT-VOTING-LINKS
Spam: http://mailgate1.algonquincollege.com/canit/b.php?c=s&i=2724887&m=5e422f5f2465
Not spam: http://mailgate1.algonquincollege.com/canit/b.php?c=n&i=2724887&m=5e422f5f2465