How to make use of 2 NICs on server instead of 1

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Mar 30 17:56:19 CEST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, emily zhou wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using one Solaris box to monitor 200+ boxes
> (Unix/NT/Router/Switch/Printers). On Nagios server, we have 2 NICs,
> right now I only use 1 of them. In order to split the traffic, I intend
> to use 2 networks, but I just wonder how to conduct bunch of checks
> going to 1 Nic and others going to another NIC, does anyone have any ideas?

Depends on your software, switch and routing.

If each nic connects to a different network, then the routing will use the
appropriate nic.

If they connect to the same network, the OS decides which nic to use.

Optionally, you can configure load balancing connection to switch - cisco
etherchannel or vlan trunk to carry traffic across both links by creating
a virtual link.

--
-sg