check_dns problems

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Tue Mar 23 20:47:38 CET 2004

>  > Do you have query logging enabled on the DNS servers and
>  can see the
>  > relative timing of the requests?
>
>  Do not know, I'll check on that tomorrow

I've done further research, and the general consensus around the office is that FreeBSD sucks and no-one knows how to configure it except the guy who left ;) Probably will be redoing the servers soon, given a spare hour or so sometime.

In the meantime, I've set up a "test" host that's another DNS server I can rely on, to see if it has similar problems. If I didn't mention it earlier, btw, there's another DNS server on our network and it works fine - running RHLinux, of course. It's not as heavily burdened as the others, though, which is why I set up the "test" host. We'll see how it works.

Just trying to figure out what setting in FreeBSD could cause this or needs tweaked for quicker response times. The servers are P3 something-or-others and are barely used after 5pm, since all our clients are 8-5 businesses.

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
M: 919-538-6326