global event handlers firing sporadically in 1 .1

Dan Hopkins dan.hopkins at uk.easynet.net
Tue Mar 23 11:32:54 CET 2004

Much as I hate reply to my own posts, I've had no respones to this so I can
only assume it's not something that affects anyone else, which in turn leads
me to think it's not a problem but my understanding that's flawed. I've now
upgraded to Nagios 1.2, but with much the same results. I'll include a short
random section of the nagios log, if anyone could point out something
obvious I'm missing, I'd be very grateful:

* [1080027394] SERVICE ALERT: host-31;GENERIC;CRITICAL;HARD;1;All Down
[1080027532] SERVICE ALERT: host-333;GENERIC;WARNING;SOFT;1;One Down
[1080027532] GLOBAL SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
host-333;GENERIC;WARNING;SOFT;1;write-db-service-eventlog
[1080027642] SERVICE ALERT: host-333;GENERIC;OK;SOFT;2;All Up
[1080027642] GLOBAL SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
host-333;GENERIC;OK;SOFT;2;write-db-service-eventlog
* [1080028564] SERVICE ALERT: host-96;GENERIC;WARNING;SOFT;1;One Down
* [1080028672] SERVICE ALERT: host-96;GENERIC;OK;SOFT;2;All Up
[1080028752] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
custserv;host-174;GENERIC;WARNING;notify-by-email;One Down
[1080028752] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
corpcustmonitor;host-174;GENERIC;WARNING;notify-by-email;One Down
[1080029853] SERVICE ALERT: host-274;SCRIPT;OK;HARD;3;All Up
[1080029853] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
custserv;host-274;SCRIPT;OK;notify-by-email;All Up
[1080029854] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
corpcustmonitor;host-274;SCRIPT;OK;notify-by-email;All Up
[1080029854] GLOBAL SERVICE EVENT HANDLER:
host-274;SCRIPT;OK;HARD;3;write-db-service-eventlog
[1080030244] Auto-save of retention data completed successfully.

I've marked the 3 entries that I think should have associated global event
handlers: host-31 in an initial HARD error, and host-96 going into an
initial SOFT warning, and recovering a minute or two later. You can clearly
see the event handler firing in the other cases. The global event handler is
correctly defined and works in all instances in which it actually fires.

grep global /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
 global_host_event_handler=write-db-host-eventlog
 global_service_event_handler=write-db-service-eventlog

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
--
Dan Hopkins