global event handlers firing sporadically in 1.1

Dan Hopkins dan.hopkins at uk.easynet.net
Thu Mar 18 10:54:26 CET 2004

Has anyone experienced global event handlers being skipped (nagios 1.1)?

We've got two separate installs (freebsd 4.8-REL, Xeon 3GHz, 2G RAM, 2300
hosts, 2500 services and a similar specced freebsd 4.9-REL box with 485
hosts, 400 services) both running nagios-1.1 with MySQL support for
everything possible. In general, this setup work fine.

We use global service and host event handlers to create DB event logs to
replicate the nagios.log in the database, but noticed that sporadically the
global event handlers just don't fire. There's no obvious pattern to it,
there's no attempt to execute the event handlers  according to the
nagios.log, so it's not an actual failure of the event handler itself (it's
a very basic command line mysql insert) It doesn't appear to be due to the
nagios reload problem (this happens anything from 10 to 30 minutes into a
clean startup of nagios on both boxes)

I'm going to upgrade to 1.2 shortly, and run with some debugging to see if
we can trace what's going on, failing that we'll have to tail the nagios log
itself and create db event entries manually, but that's hardly ideal -
thought I'd check no one here has an answer first?

--
Dan Hopkins
Systems Developer, easynet Ltd.