network with 70 switches and routers

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Fri Mar 12 02:29:04 CET 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Cook, Garry wrote:

> The tftp backup plugin and the bandwidth usage are custom. I haven't
> shared them yet due to the fact that they are not yet ready for prime
> time. The bandwidth usage is further along, and I'm using it in
> production, so I've attached it. It requires MRTG/RRD to check against.
>
> I'm not really ready to share the tftp backup plugin, although that is
> my intention. I've tested it from the command line but not from within
> Nagios.
> I guess that I might as well throw it out there too. Maybe you can test
> it out for me, as I'm too swamped to work on it much this week anyway.
> It should work against IOS routers and switches and CatOS switches.
> I'm still looking for feedback on whether or not a plugin that performs
> an 'action' as opposed to a 'check' fits the standard definition of
> 'plugin'. I suppose if it did not, they would be called 'checks' instead
> of 'plugins', but the only ones that I see in the distro are indeed
> checks. I'm considering making it check the fileage of an archived
> config, and then have an included event handler upload the config to the
> tftp server based on the status. But I'd rather not go this route unless
> absolutely necessary. Any feedback is appreciated...

Have you looked at Rancid (www.shrubbery.net/rancid).

It does a beautiful job of archiving router and switch configs.
- cvs storage
- email alerts with config diffs
- includes hardware version/serial
- includes non-default config
- does not need a tftp server (perl and expect)
- multivendor

I tend to hookup ViewCVS to the repository and it allows me to get context
diffs on all those acl lists

Just a thought...
--
-sg