network with 70 switches and routers

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Mar 11 23:31:00 CET 2004

Robert Nelson wrote:
>>  On my Cisco gear I monitor interface states, cpu usage, memory
>>  usage, BGP sessions, environment variables (temperature and
>>  whatnot), bandwidth usage (cooperation with MRTG here), and have
>>  written a  plugin to backup my router/switch configs to a tftp
>> server.
>
> Garry,
>
> If any of the above are custom plugins (particularly the
> config backup!) I'd love to see them.

The tftp backup plugin and the bandwidth usage are custom. I haven't
shared them yet due to the fact that they are not yet ready for prime
time. The bandwidth usage is further along, and I'm using it in
production, so I've attached it. It requires MRTG/RRD to check against.

I'm not really ready to share the tftp backup plugin, although that is
my intention. I've tested it from the command line but not from within
Nagios.
I guess that I might as well throw it out there too. Maybe you can test
it out for me, as I'm too swamped to work on it much this week anyway.
It should work against IOS routers and switches and CatOS switches.
I'm still looking for feedback on whether or not a plugin that performs
an 'action' as opposed to a 'check' fits the standard definition of
'plugin'. I suppose if it did not, they would be called 'checks' instead
of 'plugins', but the only ones that I see in the distro are indeed
checks. I'm considering making it check the fileage of an archived
config, and then have an included event handler upload the config to the
tftp server based on the status. But I'd rather not go this route unless
absolutely necessary. Any feedback is appreciated...

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)