network with 70 switches and routers

Justin Hennessy jhennessy at mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au
Thu Mar 11 23:37:55 CET 2004

Hi All,

Saw this post and had to ask. I am trying to get check SNMP
working butI am very new to this protocol. I have read all of the
nagios doco and
it seems to make alot of assumptions about knowledge, where is a good
place to start to try and understand traps and MIB files?

Thanks,

Justin

>>> "Cook, Garry" <GWCOOK at mactec.com> 12/03/2004 3:00:08 am >>>
> I am completely new to nagios.
>
> I have a network with about 70 switches and routers from cisco.
>
> 1. Is it sensible or possible to use nagios with cisco devices.

IMHO, it is BOTH sensible and possible. The latter part of that is
actually fact, not opinion. I monitor over 150 Cisco devices using
Nagios, as well as many HP switches, Nokia Firewalls, Windows and
Linux
servers. I don't monitor printers, but other people do.

On my Cisco gear I monitor interface states, cpu usage, memory usage,
BGP sessions, environment variables (temperature and whatnot),
bandwidth
usage (cooperation with MRTG here), and have written a plugin to
backup
my router/switch configs to a tftp server.

> 2. My boss wants to know how many hours it takes to work
> oneself  into the
> subject and to integrate these 70 devices into nagios,
>    if you are completely new to nagios. Has someone experience ?

I would guess everyone on the list has experience being completely new
to Nagios. However, the setup time involved will vary depending on the
user. Are you also completely new to Linux? If not, then I would bet
that it will take you a 'reasonable' amount of time. Just make sure
that
you use the template config file setup, as this will save you a great
deal of configuration time.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)

reporting any issue.