network with 70 switches and routers

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Thu Mar 11 23:04:47 CET 2004

>  On my Cisco gear I monitor interface states, cpu usage, memory usage,
>  BGP sessions, environment variables (temperature and
>  whatnot), bandwidth
>  usage (cooperation with MRTG here), and have written a
>  plugin to backup
>  my router/switch configs to a tftp server.

Garry,

If any of the above are custom plugins (particularly the config backup!) I'd love to see them.

>  > 2. My boss wants to know how many hours it takes to work
>  > oneself  into the
>  > subject and to integrate these 70 devices into nagios,
>  >    if you are completely new to nagios. Has someone experience ?
>
>  I would guess everyone on the list has experience being
>  completely new
>  to Nagios. However, the setup time involved will vary
>  depending on the
>  user. Are you also completely new to Linux? If not, then I would bet
>  that it will take you a 'reasonable' amount of time. Just
>  make sure that
>  you use the template config file setup, as this will save you a great
>  deal of configuration time.

Even with templates, a new site or new set of devices can take considerable time (particularly if you're a sloppy typer and have to keep verifying the file and rechecking your typos, like me!). If you just want to start out and run a few icmp ping, telnet, ssh, smtp type checks, shouldn't take you more than half a day to start to get the hang of it by creating a few hosts and services, a hostgroup or two, and then create some users who only have access to a few hosts and test that. >From there it's up to you to decide how long it will take to move past simple checks and start implementing Nagios site wide.

Honestly, my hardest part of setting up nagios is remembering to put .htaccess in both ./share and ./sbin and the correct permissions on the cmd file. And then I feel like an idiot for finding the answer in my old posts to the newsgroup :)

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
M: 919-538-6326