How to get uptime on remote Linux

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Mar 2 06:51:50 CET 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:02:28 -0600
"Jim Vaughan" <jim at jimvaughan.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just learning Nagios.
>
> - Installed  Nagios 1.2 (02-02-2004) on Fedora Core 1
> - got it running great
> - it's checking remote Linux boxes with nrpe
> - It's checking Windows boxes using NSClient
> - check it out at http://neo.jimvaughan.com/nagios
>
> A quick question so I can present this to folks back at work as an
> alternative to our current monitoring systems:
>
> What plug-in do I use to return uptime on remote Linux boxes?

You have choices:

 check_snmp
 check_by_ssh
 nrpe
 several others I do not remember off-hand

Are you looking for load or time since last reboot? Install check_load
remotely if that's what you need, or read load from snmp.

If time since last reboot, I suspect there might be something in contrib
of in the plugin dropoff at sourceforge.

--
Karl