Thought for an alert

Jeremy Russell Jeremy.Russell at chickasaw.net
Mon Jun 21 22:37:20 CEST 2004

Ok, This you must share!!!

Any helpful hints?

  _____

	From: Mark Musone [mailto:mmusone at gmail.com]
	Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 1:43 PM
	To: Jason Branscum
	Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
	Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Thought for an alert

	We currently do this using Asterisk. which, as an added bonus
can use
	a pot line or VOIP.

	Mixing it with festival provised text to speech.

	An added bonus is the ability to dial-in to the system, and
"press 1
	for current alerts, press 2 to restart apache...etc.."

	-Mark

	On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:57:37 -0500 (CDT), Jason Branscum
	<jasonb at teletouch.net> wrote:

	> Hey Guys (in a non-gender sort of way, of course)
	>
	> I had an interesting thought this morning but have been quite
unsuccessful
	> in finding ways to go about this.
	>
	> The scenario:
	>
	> You are a small business hosting a website customers connect
to, one
	> internet connection to a local uplink provider, one router
handling all
	> this traffic.  This is a pretty common scenario; Most small
business don't
	> use BGP or failover connectivity.. heck, some of my customer
use DSL to do
	> major hosting.  Your nagios server is located on-site and is
set to send
	> SMS messages when a host goes down.
	>
	> The disaster:
	>
	> The above scenario has two points of failure (PoF), the
Internet router
	> and the Internet link itself (a T1 in this case).  One night,
tragicly,
	> your T1 line goes down as someone installs a new fence in
their backyard
	> and cuts right through a cable mistaken for a tree root with
their rented
	> backhoe (sound famiallier anyone).  Your nagios server tries
to alert you
	> but is unable to because of the link being down.  Customers
are furious
	> and you're sound asleep dreaming about profits.
	>
	> The fix:
	>
	> I'd like to investigate using a unix machine (or Win32 if I
_had_ to) that
	> I can order to Dial a cell phone, Speak a message "Link to
SOMEISP down,
	> help!" or even the standard nagios host-notify out of
misccommands.cfg and
	> then hang-up.  Wouldn't that be neat?  Right now, I have
Zetron's that can
	> do this, they'll wake me up in the middle of the night to tell
me the
	> power is out a a tower site but have no computer interface.
	>
	> Usually googling will come up with answers on any subject but
frankly I am
	> stumped and cannot find any help for this over the internet.
Something
	> tells me I have a long road ahead of me but my perl skills are
up and
	> prepared to code anything I need.  What I'd like from ya'll is
any kind of
	> programs you know (unix preferably) that will use SAPI (text
to speech)
	> and/or dial-out scripts that will allow audio input.  If
nothing else, I
	> can record the .WAV files myself (although it would be messy)
and have
	> said dialer call a cell phone and play pre-recorded messages..
which is
	> why SAPI or the like is preferable.. you give SAPI some text
and it says
	> it (in a robotish voice) rather than having 100 megs of WAV
files sitting
	> dormant.
	>
	> Any help would rock the casbah!  If I actually come up with
anything wprth
	> using, I'll be happy to share.
	>
	> Jason

when reporting any issue.
	> ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to
/dev/null

	::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS