hostextinfo templates stopped working

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jun 14 09:31:28 CEST 2004

Steve Shipway wrote:
> Well, after working on this for the last 3 hours, wouldn't you know that I'd
> find the answer immediately after posting to the list?
>
> For thos of you interested in the cause of my problem (and for posterity)
> the reason was this -  there was *one* hostextinfo definition using a
> misspelt template name, and this stopped *all* templates from working, and
> no error messages were logged anywhere.

That's because the hostextinfo is non-critical to nagios operations, and
Nagios doesn't read them. The GUI does, but they don't log anything, so
it's an entirely different matter.

> I worked this out by slowly deleting every definition from the file in turn.
> The offending one was the last in the file (typical).
>
> Maybe Nagios should produce some error messages when it finds
> inconsistencies in the extinfo files, as it does for errors in the other
> files?

In Nagios 2.0, hostextinfo is considered to be an object configuration
file just like anything else so Nagios reads it, verifies it and caches it.

> Thanks for letting me waste your time,

You're welcome. We don't do much at work until after lunch anyway. ;-)

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se