Dell Openmanage and Compaq/HP Insight Manager 7

Alex Burger alex at fragit.net
Fri Jun 11 18:56:26 CEST 2004

Sand Philipp wrote:

> In my company we're planning to use nagios as our primary Monitoring
> Tool. We used MRTG, BigBrother, the Compaq Insight Manager and the Dell
> Openmanage Tools so far, but we're searching for a Tool, whic can
> combine the most functions of all those tools in one. And I think Nagios
> is able to manage that.
>
> My question is, are there any Plugins to get the Data from the Insight
> Manager or the Openmange? I found sometink like check_insight, but
> couldn't get it running :-/

I use SNMPTT to forward SNMP traps received from the Compaq Insight
Agents running on each server to Nagios.

I have converted the MIB files from the Compaq Management CD (CD with
Insight Manager) for use with SNMPTT.  I currently have 344 traps defined.

With this setup, I get alerts such as:

-Tape Drive Status Change: Status is now offline.

-Tape Drive Cleaning Required: Status is now degraded

-Corr Mem Errors Require a Replacement Memory Module.: Correctable
memory errs require a replacement memory module.

-Physical Drive Status Change: Status is now predictiveFailure for a
physical drive on bus 0, bay 1.

Basically, anything you see in the error log for a server in Insight
Manager, you should be able to get in to Nagios using SNMP traps.
Insight Manager is not needed as the traps are sent directly to
SNMPTRAPD (Net-SNMP), handled by SNMPTT and forwared to Nagios.  You may
still want to have Insight Manager around so you can query config info
etc on servers or look at the internal logs.

See http://www.snmptt.org and
http://www.snmptt.org/docs/snmptt.shtml#Nagios-Netsaint for more info.

Alex