Checking freshness Time period

Sumit Malhotra smalhotra at dataarmor.net
Fri Jun 11 11:50:11 CEST 2004

Hi ,

 I am using nagios 1.2 and nsca in combination . Both works great together.

I have configured for freshness check evrey 15 minutes( As shown below) . In case it fails an alert is genrated via command noreport. It works fine for 24*7 monitoring of services

Problem comes when i want some service to be checked for 16*5 . I get alerts even when i have configured the service are configured for 16*5(check period) ( Although i am able to suppress teh alerts using notification period i.e. by setting it to 16*5) but still there is a red alert in the web interface .I would have loved to get a wall of "GREEN".

define service {
name                           generic-service-passive ; The 'name' of this service template, referenced in other service definitions
active_checks_enabled          0       ; Active service checks are enabled
passive_checks_enabled         1       ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
parallelize_check              1       ; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
obsess_over_service            1       ; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
check_freshness                1       ; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
freshness_threshold     1800    ; default 15 minutes
check_command           no-report
notifications_enabled          1       ; Service notifications are enabled
event_handler_enabled          1       ; Service event handler is enabled
flap_detection_enabled         1       ; Flap detection is enabled
process_perf_data              1       ; Process performance data
retain_status_information      1       ; Retain status information across program restarts
retain_nonstatus_information   1       ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
register                       0       ; DONT REgISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

define service {
use                            generic-service-passive         ; Name of service template to use
host_name                      Ababa
service_description            Check Oracle
is_volatile                    0
check_period                   16x5
max_check_attempts             3
normal_check_interval          3