passive service checks

Gabriel Law glaw at storbase.com
Thu Jul 22 15:53:51 CEST 2004

Hi all,

So I have been looking at Nagios as a way to monitor remote users
machines, and it looks pretty promising, except I have a few questions.

Is there a way to install the plug-ins or something comparable on remote
machines, without installing nagios?  Really what I'm trying to do is
check_ping,
check_http, check_smtp on machines behind firewalls with a minimal of
installation. (Read: I can talk someone through it on the phone).  On
linux it's not so bad, I could hack together some suitable scripts,
but...

How do people manage passive service checks on remote windows machines?
Is there a way that qualifies the above?  At this point I am thinking at
best I can maybe use the java system but I don't want to deal with
having to support admin of a jre as well.  Or I could write something
comparable in C, but my C skills are rusty and I'd rather not do that
either.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!
-Gabe

Gabriel Law
Storbase Communications