passive service checks

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 22 16:26:04 CEST 2004

From: Gabriel Law [mailto:glaw at storbase.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 8:54 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] passive service checks

Hi all,

So I have been looking at Nagios as a way to monitor remote users
machines, and it looks pretty promising, except I have a few questions.

Is there a way to install the plug-ins or something comparable on remote
machines, without installing nagios?  Really what I'm trying to do is
check_ping,

check_http, check_smtp on machines behind firewalls with a minimal of
installation. (Read: I can talk someone through it on the phone).  On
linux it's not so bad, I could hack together some suitable scripts,
but...

<marc> Yes, the plugins can be installed separately from Nagios simply
by compiling and installing the plugins package. IFF all your machines
are the same and have the same packages installed then you can compile
them on one machine and then move a tarball of the ones you want to
another machine. You really only need the specific plugins you intend to
use. You could then you NRPE, check_by_ssh or cron/wrapper/NSCA to
execute them remotely and return the results to Nagios.

How do people manage passive service checks on remote windows machines?
Is there a way that qualifies the above?  At this point I am thinking at
best I can maybe use the java system but I don't want to deal with
having to support admin of a jre as well.  Or I could write something
comparable in C, but my C skills are rusty and I'd rather not do that
either.

<marc> I leave this to others who may have implememented something...

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

<marc> Suggestion: Please try to post to the list in plain text. It
makes it easier to reply in context, more people will be able to
read/respond and it doesn't clutter the digests with useless HTML.

--
Marc