Best way to organzie data...

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Mon Jul 5 12:03:01 CEST 2004

I am sorry if this repeats an earlier part of this thread, but I'm only
new on this list. We have a related problem. It seems to stem from the
fact that Nagios ties all services tightly to the concept of a "host",
but there are a number of services which don't work in this way.

For example, we might have a web site which is load balanced between
two hosts. I'd like to associate the nagios service with the URL of the
site, not the IP address of the machine. So a particular machine could
be offline, but the web site working fine.

Likewise, I've got some services that check for validity of SSL
certificates. But which host do I attach them to?

Is there a 'proper' way to set this up in Nagios?

Ari Maniatis

On 03/07/2004, at 9:07 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:

> IMO, it's easier to see all the services hanging from the same host
> than to see multiple hosts that are really the same host, just
> different services. In a company where there's a person who deals with
> *only* web sites and a person who deals with *only* ssh issues,
> however, I can see where you wouldn't want the Web guy getting a page
> if SSH on his box went down. But that's not where I work :)

ish group pty ltd
http://www.ish.com.au
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8