At my wits end with GD libraries! It should work!

jeff vier jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com
Fri Jul 2 18:06:58 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 09:37 -0500, Tony Tissic wrote:
> *** GD, PNG, and/or JPEG libraries could not be located... *********
> Here is what I have verified:
> JPEG:
> jpeg-6b-731
> libjpeg-6.2.0-731
> (some researched showed that libjpeg is supposed to include the devel.
> libraries for JPEG; is this true?)

absolutely.  You have to have the -devel side of things to compile
against it.

> ldconfig

This doesn't do anything if you aren't changing your ld.so.conf
here's mine:
---
/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib
/lib
/usr/local/lib/php/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
---

> make clean (more times than I can remember)

if you're reconfiguring, do "make distclean" ("make clean" only removes
previously compiled binaries, not config stuff)

> configure
> configure --with-gd-lib --with-gd-inc
> configure
> /configure --with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/include
> /configure --with-gd-lib=/usr/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/include

I assume you meant ./configure...

here is my configure statement (nag v2.0, but still similar), if this
helps:
./configure  --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-grp=nagios --
prefix=/usr/local/nagios-2.0 --with-file-perfdata --with-command-
user=apache --with-command-grp=apache --with-lockfile=/usr/local/nagios-
2.0/var/nagios.lock --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d --enable-event-broker --
enable-embedded-perl --with-perlcache

Note:  no explicit library defs.  your ld.so.conf should cover this.

> The only thing I am not real clear on is the location of these mysterious
> libraries; how do I know if its in /usr/local or /usr/lib or
> /some_other_directory?

try 'find / -name "libpng.so"' (or whatever)