Best way to organzie data...

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Sat Jul 3 13:07:07 CEST 2004

It depends on your organization. We're a wireless ISP, so we group based on POP, based on inter-POP connects, what's a client radio, what's client equipment, and in some cases, multiple clients in the same building. You can add a host to multiple groups, and only set notifications for one of those groups.

IMO, it's easier to see all the services hanging from the same host than to see multiple hosts that are really the same host, just different services. In a company where there's a person who deals with *only* web sites and a person who deals with *only* ssh issues, however, I can see where you wouldn't want the Web guy getting a page if SSH on his box went down. But that's not where I work :)

Either way, when you go to set downtime on a few hosts, it's a LOT easier to do if all the services are attached to the same host.

Rob Nelson
rnelson at windchannel.com