feature suggestion / can I already do this?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herff-jones.com
Thu Jan 29 00:22:10 CET 2004

I'll admit that since installing 1.0 I've stopped paying very close
attention to Nagios development, so if this is already available (in 1.x or
2), please excuse me...

It would be very useful to be able to say "except" when applying services to
hostgroups.

For example, I have about 30 DNS servers, all of which I want to apply
several services to ... except one.  For that one, I run a different check
command.

Because of that ONE host's difference, I have to apply the service check
separately to all of the hosts in the group, effectively removing the major
management benefit of being able to apply services to hostgroups.  It would
be sooo much nicer to simply have one service definition applied to the
group, with an exception for that one host, so that I could follow that
definition up with another one that applied only to that host.

I realize it's awfully late for 2.0 feature requests, but this seems like a
*very* easy thing to code - just add a step that removes exceptions from the
list of hosts before applying a given service definition.

If there's already a way to do that, then please tell me and I'll be both
suitably chagrined and ecstaticallly happy. :-)

--
Trever

      -- Henry Spencer