projected or recommended service check option

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 29 16:28:53 CET 2004

On Wednesday, January 28, 2004 5:03 PM, Neil shared with us:

> Hey guys,
> I don't know why this email bounced back to my inbox. So I am sending
> it again.
>
> I tried nagios -s nagios.cfg and it gives me this info.
>
> SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
>      -------------------------------
>      Total services:             76
>      Total hosts:                44
>
>      Command check interval:     5 sec
>      Check reaper interval:      10 sec
>
>      Inter-check delay method:   SMART
>      Average check interval:     247.895 sec
>      Inter-check delay:          3.262 sec
>
>      Interleave factor method:   SMART
>      Average services per host:  1.727
>      Service interleave factor:  2
>
>      Initial service check scheduling info:
>      --------------------------------------
>      First scheduled check:      1075330870 -> Wed Jan 28 15:01:10
>      2004 Last scheduled check:       1075331114 -> Wed Jan 28
> 15:05:14 2004
>
>      Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
>      -------------------------------------------------
>      Absolute minimum value:     4
>      Recommend value:            12
>

> I don't know why I am just still having a 12 in recommended value. I
> already installed it on a 1 gig memory. And I am just monitoring 74
> services for now.  What are the things that I need to tweak so I can
> have a good max_concurrent_checks value?

Why do you think that number is bad? 76 service checks can easily be
completed in the 250ish seconds you've specified as the check_interval
(250s/75c =~ 3 checks a second). Memory is not a factor in this
calculation, nor is CPU, only the factors listed above. Assuming each
nagios process takes about 10 megs of ram, then it's only going to be
using about 120 megs _assuming_ that all the concurrent checks are
happening at once. If you're uncomfortable with the number, double it,
but it's really not going to make a big difference. Nagios is designed
to spread all the checks out over your check_interval so that the
monitoring load is evenly distributed over that time interval both on
your monitoring box and the hosts that are being monitored. Here's one
from one of my machines for comparison --

         SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
        -------------------------------
        Total services:             1185
        Total hosts:                750

        Check reaper interval:      2 sec

        Inter-check delay method:   SMART
        Average check interval:     300.000 sec
        Inter-check delay:          0.253 sec

        Interleave factor method:   SMART
        Average services per host:  1.580
        Service interleave factor:  2

        Initial service check scheduling info:
        First scheduled check:      1075389526 -> Thu Jan 29 09:18:46
2004
        Last scheduled check:       1075389826 -> Thu Jan 29 09:23:46
2004

        Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
        Absolute minimum value:     8
        Recommend value:            24

--
Marc