feature suggestion / can I already do this?

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Fri Jan 30 03:12:50 CET 2004

A couple of people have requested this feature, so I just added it
into the 2.0 code - should be in CVS shortly.  You'll be able exclude
hosts, hostgroups, service and servicegroups in various object
definitions.  Here's an example...

define service{
	service_description	PING
	hostgroup_name			windows-boxes,all-linux-servers,!linux-webservers
	host_name				somehost,!thishost,anotherhost
	}

On 28 Jan 2004 at 18:22, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> I'll admit that since installing 1.0 I've stopped paying very close
> attention to Nagios development, so if this is already available (in
> 1.x or 2), please excuse me...
>
> It would be very useful to be able to say "except" when applying
> services to hostgroups.
>
> For example, I have about 30 DNS servers, all of which I want to apply
> several services to ... except one.  For that one, I run a different
> check command.
>
> Because of that ONE host's difference, I have to apply the service
> check separately to all of the hosts in the group, effectively
> removing the major management benefit of being able to apply services
> to hostgroups.  It would be sooo much nicer to simply have one service
> definition applied to the group, with an exception for that one host,
> so that I could follow that definition up with another one that
> applied only to that host.
>
> I realize it's awfully late for 2.0 feature requests, but this seems
> like a *very* easy thing to code - just add a step that removes
> exceptions from the list of hosts before applying a given service
> definition.
>
> If there's already a way to do that, then please tell me and I'll be
> both suitably chagrined and ecstaticallly happy. :-)
>
> --
> Trever

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer