One Host Notification instead of every service possible?

Aaron Soto asoto at admin.nmt.edu
Wed Jan 28 21:28:37 CET 2004

Dirk,

By the nature of Nagios, if you have a host check defined for that
particular host, it will automatically run that test to determine if that
host is down.  For example:

A server with HTTP and HTTPS both checked by Nagios goes down.  Nagios will
check HTTP and HTTPS and notice that it is down.  Once it determines this,
it will also run the host check (defined in your config files) which is
normally a PING.  If the PING does not respond, Nagios will check the rather
than getting two messages saying "HTTP is CRITICAL" and "HTTPS is CRITICAL",
you get one page saying "SERVER is down."

I believe there are several programs (namely nagmin) which are designed to
do what you are asking.  I have heard good stories about them, but I
personally have not any time with which to test them out.

Let me know if you try it out!  :-)

Aaron Soto
New Mexico Tech