ssl

andy proctor andyjproctor at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:19:25 CET 2004

I have some bizzare behaviour with one host which I am trying to monitor.

I have the 1.3.1 plugin's which I build using on Solaris 7 using gcc 2.95.3
/ make 3.80:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios-1.1 --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin
--with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios
--with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl

The version of openssl is 0.9.7c (and I have also tried with 0.9.7b with the
same results)

I am trying to check an SSL server running a wildcard certificate
*.domain.com which I thought may have been the cause of my problems.
However, I can check SSL sites such as www.verisign.com and www.geotrust.com
(who supplied ours) fine, although these are single host certificates.

Our main server which runs our sites and virtual hosts works fine with SSL
(on apache 1.3.28+modssl 2.8.14 / Solaris 9) to all browsers however
obscure, however to check_http you always get the following (with check_http
IP address -C 14 -S -v):

SSL seeding: OK
ERROR: Cannot retrieve server certificate.

I have checked from an external address and it fails the same, it also does
this on different hosts on different operating systems when checking this
host.

The reason that I also think that this now isn't the server certificate is
we use this certificate on another host which runs apache under Unixware 7
(yuk!) but this works fine with check_http - which presumably also indicates
that the plug in has worked fine.

Any ideas? Is this looking like a bug that needs fixing? I'd appreciate some
feedback and also can give the domain name to one of the authours if you
would like to check it out at all. I've trussed it too, but it doesn't
really mean anything to me but if someone wants to see the out put I'll post
it.

Regards,
Andy Proctor
andyjproctor at hotmail.com