service dependency

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 28 04:44:03 CET 2004

Ok guys.

Here are the configs that I've come up with. Basically, I have 2 machines,
freebsd and solaris.

I brought down Apache HTTP service in freebsd machine. I got a mail
notification. Subject was:
** PROBLEM alert - FreeBSD 4.9/Apache HTTP is CRITICAL **

But I never received any other email notification relating to
servicedependency failures. I waited almost 2 hours but still no email.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

 ----------------
DEPENDENCIES.CFG
 ----------------
define servicedependency{
       host_name                       freebsd
       service_description             Apache HTTP
       dependent_host_name             solarisx86
       dependent_service_description   Apache Web - Port 80
       execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
       notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
       }

 ---------
HOSTS.CFG
 ---------
define host{
       use                     generic-host

       host_name               freebsd
       alias                   FreeBSD 4.9
       address                 10.156.190.190
       check_command           check-host-alive
       parents                 gateway10.156.188.3
       max_check_attempts      10
       notification_interval   120
       notification_period     24x7
       notification_options    d,u,r
       }

define host{
       use                     generic-host

       host_name               solarisx86
       alias                   Intel Solaris 5.8
       address                 10.156.188.15
       check_command           check-host-alive
       max_check_attempts      10
       notification_interval   120
       notification_period     24x7
       notification_options    d,u,r
       }

 ------------
SERVICES.CFG
 ------------
define service{

       host_name                       freebsd
       service_description             Apache HTTP
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              3
       normal_check_interval           2
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  web-admins
       notification_interval           5
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            w,u,c,r
       check_command                   check_http
       }

define service{

       host_name                       solarisx86