service dependency

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 28 06:12:09 CET 2004

Also guys, please read my previous post too. I am really confused now.

Let say we 2 servers, svr-A running apache-svc and svr-B running mysql-svc.

Assuming that apache-svc on svr-A is dependent on mysql-svc on svr-B.
Tell me if I understood servicedependency here.

1. What I want to happen is that when mysql-svc on svr-B fails, I would like
to get notified that apache-svc on svr-A will not work properly too.
2. I was also thinking that in the Service Detail(left pane of the nagios
monitor webpage), the dependent host will have a different color on the
dependent service if the depended upon service is down.

Maybe a simple matrix will help me much more to understand
servicedependency.

Since I am really confused, what is the purpose of servicedependency? Is it
to prevent email notifications when the dependend upon service is down? Or
is it to prevent email notifications when the dependent service is down?

Please bear with me for now :)

Neil