parents question again

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 22 20:53:20 CET 2004

On Thursday, January 22, 2004 1:34 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount shared with
us:

> --On Thursday, January 22, 2004 2:23 PM -0500 Matt Pounsett
> <matt.pounsett at cira.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Neil wrote:
> >
> > > Good day guys,
> > >
> > > Assuming we have this kind of mesh wan topology:
> > >
> > > How are we going to configure parents so we can have a similar
> > > output in statusmap?
> >
> > Your statusmap output is unlikely to look the same.  The statusmap
> > shows you a dependancy tree, not a network map.  There really is
> > only one way to configure parents -- for each host, indicate which
> > other host(s) are directly upstream toward the Nagios server.
>
> And as usual, this dependency tree fails immediately if you have
> multiple nagios servers for redundancy purposes, that are located in
> disparate locations (part of the whole idea behind redundancy).  I
> seriously think how parents are handled in Nagios need to be
> re-evaluated to truly handle multiple-nagios environments.

Quanah -

You continually disparage the developers on this subject but I have yet
to see any kind of proposal from you for a workable alternative
solution. This sounds like a great opportunity for you to put together a
proposal that details what you believe the correct behaviour should be
and pseudocode/logic for how it would be implemented from configuration
to notification to display. A documented patch would be even better.

In other words, if you don't like the current behavior, do something
about it.

--
Marc