parents question again

Matthew Sayler sayler at speedsite.com
Thu Jan 22 21:18:47 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:51:23PM -0500, Matt Pounsett wrote:
> The perspective of Nagios Server A is that Switch 1 is the parent of Switch 2.
> Nagios Server B's perspective is that Switch 2 is the parent of Switch 1.
> Simply telling each Nagios server which switch they're connected to won't
> adjust the dependancies as you appear to desire.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to do this properly is to skip
"parent" and define links

A <---> B <---> C
        ^

Hosts and connections (edges) are defined.  Something indicates the edge
that connects nagios to the graph:

A <-x-> B <-y-> C
        ^

	D <-w-> Nagios

Nagios builds a spanning tree over the graph (borrow the aglo from your
favorite CS treatise) and you have instant parent relationships.

One interesting correlary of this approach is that you could define IPs
for (e.g.) B's interface with Z, so that you're always contacting the
IP "closest" to you viz-a-viz your graph.

I can't see a way that any solution not involving biderectional edges
will work.

All of this is much more complicated than the current scheme, though.

Regards,

Matt Sayler

--
/* Matt Sayler    -- Sr. Network Engineer, Speedsite Online
 * (773) 394-9300 -- sayler at speedsite.com */