Triggering the "Network Outages" display under Tactical Overview

Platt, Nicholas Nick.Platt at myflorida.com
Wed Jan 21 00:15:42 CET 2004

Hello:

I am very new to Nagios and just recently installed it by following the
instructions very carefully.  I have a fair understanding of how all the
*.cfg files work.   It is my understanding that there are host and services
only.   I decided to start monitoring my core routers and edge switches plus
a few test servers.  I've not been able to trigger the "Network Outage"
display because I do not know how to distinguish the routing equipment from
the server equipment.   I had asked a friend how to accomplish this and he
directed to work with the host dependency file.   I tried to make a host
dependent (test server) to another host (core router), but I was not able to
trigger the "Network Outage" field.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.   There has to be a way to
distinguish network nodes from server nodes.  See attachment.  Thanks