Problem with NRPE

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jan 14 01:55:13 CET 2004

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but even if the dead horse is
incapable of learning, perhaps some of the bystanders are.

Joe Rhett writes:

>> >Besides, I have a threaded mail viewer.
>>
>> Gosh, that's handy. If somebody responds to a post that's a couple
>> of days old without quoting anything at all you can spend extra time
>
> Hm... Good.  Let's argue points that weren't raised at all.

Woohoo!  You see the benefit of PROPER quoting?  Everyone can see that
YOU mentioned having a threaded mail viewer.  I was the one that explained
the deficiencies of a threaded mail viewer in certain situations.  You
were the one who then claimed I was arguing a point that had never been
raised after you raised it.  Threaded mail viewers are not the solution
to a human problem.

Here's a Kalashnikov - set it on full auto and shoot yourself in the
foot - see if you can do yourself as much damage with that.

> *plonk*

I will hold you to that promise.  I have responded to two of your later
posts as well as this one, all made after promising that I am in your
killfile.

>> I mention this merely because others try to justify top-posting because
>> it's quicker for them to do it that way, even if it's harder for others
>> to follow.  Of course, if everyone saves time by top-posting, because
>> everyone reads more posts than they make, then everyone will end up
>> spending far more time trying to make sense of what they read than the
>> time they save by top-posting.  To those who say they don't have the
>> time to do anything other than top-post, I respond that I don't have the
>> time to give them answers to their questions (except I say it in my head
>> and simply delete their post).
>
> Again, you are arguing a point I didn't raise.  I read a thousand
> messages for every one I write.  I'm not talking about saving time in my
> posts, I'm talking about saving time when reading.

Just how short of comprehension are you????????  I make the point that we
all read more posts than we write, therefore if we all optimize for
read time we all benefit and if we all optimize for write time we all
lose out and you tell me you disagree with me because you feel the same
way?  Oh and then you compound that stupidity by insisting on optimizing
for write time (and maybe your own personal read time even though most
other people disagree with you that how you do things is easier to read).

I called you arrogant before and I call you arrogant again.  Mailing lists
are mutual aid groups.  Even if your brain is so screwed up that you
find top-posting easier to read, most people do not.  If you were posting
in an attempt to get answers then your approach pretty much guarantees
the only answers you will get will be from people who are equally as
clueless as yourself.  As before, I strongly encourage you to continue
posting in a way that pisses people off if that is what you think will
optimize your chances of success - I am NOT going to force my opinion
upon you no matter how idiotic you are.

Oh, and you quoted a load of unnecessary material yet again.

>> You, sir, are an idiot.  Unfortunately, you are too much of an idiot
>> to even realize that you are an idiot.
>
> No, I'm a sensible person who actually responds to the real issue -- not
> running off on some random tangent invented inside my head.

So, let's see.  Which one of us said that he thought top-posting was
a good idea?  Ummm, it was you.  Which one of us said tha he thought
top-posting was a bad idea?  Well, quite a few of us, but only AFTER
you said it was a good idea.

Damn, this is like shooting fish in a barrel.  I've dealt with incursions
from the idiots in alt.flame before, and even the stupidest of those was
smarter than you.  Let me give you some sort of advantage, like two
rooks, two knights, two bishops, a queen and eight pawns to see if you
might be able to win...

Anyone with a threading mailer (as you claim to have) can investigate
the issue of which of the two of us mentioned top-posting first.  And
all of those people will say it was you.  Yet you blame me as going off
on a tangential issue.  That Kalashnikov isn't good enough for your meagre
talents.  Try this Uzi.

> On the other hand, you seem to think that insulting someone will solve a
> technical problem.

What technical problem?  Top-posting is a PEBKAC problem, and you are one
of the biggest problems existing between keyboard and chair that I have
encountered on any technical mailing list in the past few months.
Insulting idiots sometimes shocks them into becoming somewhat more
clueful.  I see little chance of this strategy working in your case, but
no other strategy has a higher success rate.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support