check_by_ssh returning UNKNOWN

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Jan 9 15:25:44 CET 2004

Rasmus Plewe writes:

> Has anyone seen something like this before and can give me a clue?

If the problematic host is multi-homed and you're referring to it by
name rather than one of the IPs, this could happen if your ssh has
strict host key checking set to ask (it is by default) and for certain
other reasons.  You can test that by:

 1) Login to your monitoring host as user nagios (or whatever your
 nagios system is running as).  Do not su to nagios from some other
 user account.

 2) SSH onto each IP address of the box being monitored using the same
 -l and -i options as in your check command.

 3) Fix whatever SSH complains about (usually the first manual login
 gets rid of the xauthority message that trips up check_by_ssh).

If the box being monitory has only one IP address then the above tests
might still shed some light on what may be going wrong.

Now, if you know a way of using check_by_ssh to itself run check_by_ssh
on another box, that would be something I'd find useful. :)

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support