check_by_ssh returning UNKNOWN

Rasmus Plewe rplewe at hpce.nec.com
Fri Jan 9 15:57:32 CET 2004

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:25:44PM +0000, Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Rasmus Plewe writes:
>
> >Has anyone seen something like this before and can give me a clue?
>
> If the problematic host is multi-homed and you're referring to it by
> name rather than one of the IPs, this could happen if your ssh has
> strict host key checking set to ask (it is by default) and for certain
> other reasons.  You can test that by:

I refer to it by IP.

> 1) Login to your monitoring host as user nagios (or whatever your
> nagios system is running as).  Do not su to nagios from some other
> user account.

That's what I always do (for no logical reason whatsoever, I don't like
su).

> 2) SSH onto each IP address of the box being monitored using the same
> -l and -i options as in your check command.

One IP, and I use the IP, not the name, from the command line. Same as in
the check command.

> 3) Fix whatever SSH complains about (usually the first manual login
> gets rid of the xauthority message that trips up check_by_ssh).

No complaints. And, as I said: Sometimes it returns OK, but mostly
UNKNOWN.

> If the box being monitory has only one IP address then the above tests
> might still shed some light on what may be going wrong.

Unfortunately not.

> Now, if you know a way of using check_by_ssh to itself run check_by_ssh
> on another box, that would be something I'd find useful. :)

If I understood you correctly: for certain... sick values of $useful ;-)

*sigh* Since I'm out of logically possible explanations, I will
probably have to start with wild guesses and phenomenological
trial and error. A complete mystery...

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Rasmus