check_by_ssh returning UNKNOWN

Rasmus Plewe rplewe at hpce.nec.com
Fri Jan 9 14:53:21 CET 2004

Hello,

I am experiencing a very strange problem: on one of the hosts
we monitor, all checks performed via check_by_ssh show an
UNKNWON state *although* everything seems fine.

In addition, I have not been able to reproduce this behaviour
when running the exact same check invocation from the commandline;
the check allways returns OK when run (also via check_by_ssh)
from the commandline.

Additionally, the checks show this UNKNOWN state only sometimes (most
of the time, but not every time).
The return string is that of the successful test.

The very same checks, with the very same remote binaries, shows no
abnormality at all. For all I can see, this problematic host is
virtually identical to other hosts which behave perfectly normal.

Has anyone seen something like this before and can give me a clue?

Thanks in advance.

Rasmus