HELP!! Installing A New Version Of Nagios Using Existing Clients and Con figuration Files

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 25 16:38:03 CET 2004

On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 8:22 AM, Kaplan, Andrew H. shared with
us:

> Hi Marc --
>
> The check_nrpe plug-in was missing. I copied it from the original
> Nagios server and put it into the new one.
>
> I reran the test with the new server and a somewhat different problem
> has occurred. The Windows machines and printers appear without a
> problem, but the UNIX/Linux systems still report as down, and when I
> check the services on them, they all report back with a no output

I believe that NRPE includes some amount of security checking. If I
remember correctly, you have to specify in nrep.cfg on the remote
machines the IP addresses of the machines that are allowed to talk to
them. Have you checked that? If the NRPE client is also set to run out
of (x)inetd, TCP wrappers could be preventing your access as well. You
would know better than I if that's how it was configured though.

> error message. I tried to manually run a check of the systems via the
> host information screen. But no matter what option I check, I am
> confronted with the error message
>
> 	Could not open command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
for
> update.
>
> I double-checked the permissions on the parent directory of the file,
> and they match those of the original server.
> The cgi.cfg file also matches that of the older server. Any ideas?

Permissions on the directory might be ok but how about user and group
ownership and permissions of nagios.cmd itself? The error above is
accurate, I'm sure. Stated differently, Apache can not write to
nagios.cmd. Clearly a permissions issue (presuming the file exists). I'm
going to bet that on your previous machine apache is a member of
whatever group nagios.cmd is part of. If you need to add apache to that
group, you will of course need to restart apache for the change to take
effect. This is very well documented at
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=58 and
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/commandfile.html.

--