Secure network

jeff vier jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com
Wed Feb 11 20:28:30 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 10:44, Penny Keeffe wrote:
> How secure is Nagios?  Basically, I am trying to get
> my office to use Nagios and need to find out exactly
> how secure it is.  Security is a HUGE factor here.  If
> the answer to my question is in the documentation,
> just direct me to it if not I need to get as specific
> as possible.

The issue is 'How secure is your network?'

Nagios is merely a daemon whose web front-end is made available by a web
server listening on an arbitrary port.  It is meant for internal
monitoring of systems.  It is definitely NOT meant to be an
internet-available website for public perusal (or your network has just
given away much of the information necessary for compromise).

You can make the back-end as secure as you like - ssh is generally an
option to check almost anything (at the price of speed).  If you're
doing open (plain text) calls to things, those requests are definitely
'sniffable' (through no fault of nagios' - it's just the way it is).

HTH

--jeff