Secure network

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Thu Feb 12 02:04:43 CET 2004

Penny,

At 08:38 AM 12/02/2004, Penny Keeffe wrote:

> > (and the grandparent post wasn't specific,
> > either - just 'how secure is Nagios?')
>
>I would love to be more specific but alas I cannot.  I
>basically need to know this:  while monitoring a
>secure network how accessible is it from the outside.
>I really wish I could be more specific I know it would
>help you guys out with what I am asking.  Ask me
>questions if you can think of any and if I can I will
>answer them.

Are you referring to the Nagios host being inside the secure network? If
so, then the security of the Nagios host is first protected by whatever
security measures are in place on that secure network.

After that you have the security afforded by Apache (or your preferred web
server), security by authentication (built into Nagios), and finally
security of the operating system that you are running on the Nagios host.

If someone got into the secure network, they would need a valid
username/password (or have access user/root access to the Nagios host) to
see your Nagios web page.

Other people have already presented information I have left out, I have
also presented some of the same information in a different way.

HTH,
Greg

=================================
Greg Vickers