notification on soft state

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Feb 8 03:18:05 CET 2004

Hu Thomas Pan <mailto:thomaspan at usa.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How could I enable notification during soft state? Basically, I want
> to have different check intervals during OK state and non-OK state.
> There must be notification during non-OK state.
>
> Any idea?

I think you're going to need to clarify for the group why you are
needing notifications for soft states. Why not just adjust your
max_check_attempts to be lower so you get notified sooner? Nagios
doesn't notify for soft states but it could probably be accomplished
with a bit of coding and using OCSP. As for different check intervals
for OK and non-OK states, that's built in --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#service

normal_check_interval: This directive is used to define the number of
"time units" to wait before scheduling the next "regular" check of the
service. "Regular" checks are those that occur when the service is in an
OK state or when the service is in a non-OK state, but has already been
rechecked max_attempts number of times. Unless you've changed the
interval_length directive from the default value of 60, this number will
mean minutes. More information on this value can be found in the check
scheduling documentation.

retry_check_interval: This directive is used to define the number of
"time units" to wait before scheduling a re-check of the service.
Services are rescheduled at the retry interval when the have changed to
a non-OK state. Once the service has been retried max_attempts times
without a change in its status, it will revert to being scheduled at its
"normal" rate as defined by the check_interval value. Unless you've
changed the interval_length directive from the default value of 60, this
number will mean minutes. More information on this value can be found in
the check scheduling documentation.

Nagios will of course notify you when a service is in a HARD non-OK
state if you have notifications enabled and the correct
notification_options set (c,r most likely).

--
Marc