Problems installing check_mssql

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 17 01:52:44 CET 2004

Rimbert Rivera wrote:
>>It's in 1.4 (since july this year, I believe).
>

> I only see check_mssql.sh in the contrib of 1.4 and check_mssql isn't
> anywhere in that release.  If I understand correctly, check_mssql.sh
> only checks connectivity to a SQL server but doesn't allow running a
> query.  We need to run a query which check_mssql does.
>

>>Install freetds.
>

> I did do that and I am able to run check_mssql.sh and tsql.  But unless
> I misunderstood the man for both of them, I cannot run a query with
> them.

tsql lets you run any arbitrary query against any sql server using the
tabular data stream protocol (i.e. sybase and mssql servers).

>>Install freetds and DBD::Sybase. I know it can use the freetds libs (I
>
> compiled it that way myself).
>
> I had problems installing DBD::Sybase (via Webmin's install from CPAN).
> It keeps complaining of not finding Sybase libraries or the lib
> directory:

Did you install freetds-devel as well?

> "Can't find any Sybase libraries in /usr/local/lib at Makefile.PL  line
> 107,  line 44." (/usr/local is supposed to be the default location of
> Sybase libraries)
>
> "Can't find the lib directory under /etc! at Makefile.PL line 104,  line
> 44." (/etc is where my freetds.conf file is)

Naturally not. No libraries are installed under /etc (aka sysconfdir) on
any sane distribution.

> "Can't find the lib directory under /usr/share/doc/freetds-0.62.1! at
> Makefile.PL line 104, <IN> line 44." (/usr/share/doc/freetds-0.62.1 is
> the only other place I could locate freetds though I knew it was a long
> shot)

Very long indeed.

> "Can't find the lib directory under /usr/share/pear/DB! at Makefile.PL
> line 104,  line 44." (/usr/share/pear/DB is where my sybase.php is)

Naturally not. /usr/share/pear/DB is probably where your PHP database
things are installed.

> I couldn't locate any other directories that had either freetds or
> sybase in it.
>
> So I think I need to install Sybase?  I see that ASE Express Edition for
> Linux is free but it requires registration before I can install.  Am I
> still on the right track and install it?

I wouldn't know. I did SYBASE=/usr perl Makefile.PL when I built it (as
per instructions in the README, as I recall it). It then autodetected my
freetds libs and everything else.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer