Problems installing check_mssql

Rimbert Rivera rrivera at comtex.com
Fri Dec 17 01:27:45 CET 2004

>It's in 1.4 (since july this year, I believe).

I only see check_mssql.sh in the contrib of 1.4 and check_mssql isn't
anywhere in that release.  If I understand correctly, check_mssql.sh
only checks connectivity to a SQL server but doesn't allow running a
query.  We need to run a query which check_mssql does.

>Install freetds.

I did do that and I am able to run check_mssql.sh and tsql.  But unless
I misunderstood the man for both of them, I cannot run a query with
them.

>Install freetds and DBD::Sybase. I know it can use the freetds libs (I
compiled it that way myself).

I had problems installing DBD::Sybase (via Webmin's install from CPAN).
It keeps complaining of not finding Sybase libraries or the lib
directory:

"Can't find any Sybase libraries in /usr/local/lib at Makefile.PL  line
107,  line 44." (/usr/local is supposed to be the default location of
Sybase libraries)

"Can't find the lib directory under /etc! at Makefile.PL line 104,  line
44." (/etc is where my freetds.conf file is)

"Can't find the lib directory under /usr/share/doc/freetds-0.62.1! at
Makefile.PL line 104, <IN> line 44." (/usr/share/doc/freetds-0.62.1 is
the only other place I could locate freetds though I knew it was a long
shot)

"Can't find the lib directory under /usr/share/pear/DB! at Makefile.PL
line 104,  line 44." (/usr/share/pear/DB is where my sybase.php is)

I couldn't locate any other directories that had either freetds or
sybase in it.

So I think I need to install Sybase?  I see that ASE Express Edition for
Linux is free but it requires registration before I can install.  Am I
still on the right track and install it?

What I find really strange is, the other RH9 that has check_mssql
running, does have DBD::Sybase perl module installed but not the freetds
package (according to Webmin).  Check_mssql has no man but check_mssql
-h gives:
<password> -q <query> [-v]
* --database -d         Database name
* --server -s           Server name
* --username -u         Username
* --password -p         Password
* --query -q            SQL query to run
  --verbose -v          verbose

There is no -V option so I don't know what version this is.

Here's the command definition from the working RH9 (I cleaned up our
values in <>):
# 'check_mssql' command definition
define command{
	command_name	check_mssql
	command_line	$USER1$/check_mssql -s $HOSTADDRESS$ -d
<databasename> -u <username> -p <password> -q "$ARG1$"
	}

Here's the service definition from the working RH9 (I cleaned up our
values in <>):
# Service definition
define service{
	use				comtex-service-template
; Name of service template to use

	host_name			<hostname>
	service_description		<desc>
	max_check_attempts		1
	check_command			check_mssql!exec <name of stored
procedure>!
	}

I've even tried installing sqsh because I think I read check_mssql may
need both freetds and sqsh, but I had problems installing sqsh, too:

error: Failed dependencies:
	libcomn.so is needed by sqsh-1.7-1
	libcs.so is needed by sqsh-1.7-1
	libct.so is needed by sqsh-1.7-1
	libintl.so is needed by sqsh-1.7-1
	libncurses.so.4 is needed by sqsh-1.7-1
	libreadline.so.3 is needed by sqsh-1.7-1
	libsybtcl.so is needed by sqsh-1.7-1

I tried installing libcomn.so but I can't seem to find that package (or
whatever it is).

The working RH9 did not have sqsh package installed on it.

If you haven't guessed, I'm very clueless about most of this stuff.  I'm
only starting to understand the basics of nagios, but I am not a
programmer and still a Linux newbie so I don't even know what I'm
installing (I don't know the difference between a package and a perl
module or whatever).  Not that I am expecting anyone to suddenly get me
up to speed on any of this, but please don't assume I know something
that you think is basic. :)

Unfortunately, going back to the consultant is not an option.

So, how do I install check_mssql?

- Rim

Rimbert Rivera
Manager, Information Technology
COMTEX News Network
rrivera at comtex.com
(703) 820-2000
Discover more about COMTEX at: http://www.comtex.com/
This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail
by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
immediately and delete the material from any computer.