Problems installing check_mssql

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 16 21:15:27 CET 2004

Rimbert Rivera wrote:
> First off, I thought I read on a Google search that check_mssql was in
> the contrib directory of the Nagios plugins but it wasn't there (I
> installed 1.3.1).  Even the extra plugins did not have it.

It's in 1.4 (since july this year, I believe).

> We have another RH9 Linux box (setup up by a consultant that is no
> longer with us) that has check_mssql and is working properly.  I copied
> that file to the RH9 box that I am installing another Nagios install on
> and when I tried to run it, it gave me errors about DBI.  I installed
> perl-dbi.  Then it complained about DBD::Sybase.  I tried to install
> DBD::Sybase but it can't find the Sybase libraries.

Install freetds.

> I don't even know where the original check_mssql plugin came from.  I've
> searched for it and only found check_mssql.sh, which is a different
> version I believe.

Yes. It uses the tsql program (included in the freetds dist).

>  If I could download check_mssql with install
> instructions, I think I can do it.  We need check_mssql so we can run
> stored procedures on our SQL server that checks the health of our
> internal app.
>
> Any suggestions?

Install freetds and DBD::Sybase. I know it can use the freetds libs (I
compiled it that way myself).

> I consider myself a Linux newbie and I've been doing most of this
> through WebMin, if that matters.

Probably yes, but building perl modules is fairly straight forward. You
should be able to find a README or something included with each module.
If all else fails you can always call the consultant who set up the
other box.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer