notification

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Dec 15 12:22:29 CET 2004

Michael Hüttig wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. Dezember 2004 19:36 schrieb Jason Martin:
>
>>On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 07:32:50PM +0100, Czabai Gabor wrote:
>>
>>>criticals and warnings. But i dont want to recieve them , i need only
>>>one, which tells me, that the network is down. Is it possible, or i have
>>>to recieve all of them?
>>
>>Check the Nagios manual regarding the 'parent' directive in the
>>host defintions. Nagios can send just one notification for the
>>issue.
>>
>>-Jason Martin
>
> Hi,
> reading the docs i suggest that parent directive is only for displaying
> correct in status-map.cgi, if you don´t want the notifications for hosts
> behind other hosts, you have to configure host_dependencies, but please
> correct me if i´m wrong ...

You are. Read up on network outages and you'll see what parents do for
the monitoring logic (and notifications). You will also want to remove
the 'u' option for whatever host you don't want double notifications for.

Hostdependencies fill very limited role for very obscure networks now
adays, although I believe it was previously useful.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer