notification

Mark D. Nagel mnagel at willingminds.com
Wed Dec 15 17:51:57 CET 2004

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Hostdependencies fill very limited role for very obscure networks now
> adays, although I believe it was previously useful.

I had a rare opportunity to use a host dependency recently.  It was in
the case where we were monitoring the interior gateway of a remote VPN
endpoint as well as the exterior IPSec peer address.  The parent-based
dependency relationship to the exterior address flowed through the
Internet path, however, we also wanted to suppress alerts for problems
on the interior gateway if the remote Internet link was down, even
though the parent relationship of the tunnel flowed through the local
concentrator.  Using a hostdependency resolved that quite nicely:

# don't bother with IPSec test if T1 is down
define hostdependency {
    dependent_host_name                 vpn-interior-interface
    host_name                           t1-interface
    notification_failure_criteria       d,u
}

Mark

--