Status map reports wrong state for more than an hour

Ackim Chisha ackim at coppernet.zm
Thu Dec 9 15:29:28 CET 2004

Hi people,

I have configured nagios fine and everything seems to work well the only
bad thing is that my status map reports too much errors. It sometimes
reports the site as being down for more than an hour when actually the
site is up and vice-versa. My main concern is to check that all my 350
hosts are alive by using ping.

 I have tried to play with the following below but to no avail:

check_period
max_check_attempts
normal_check_interval
retry_check_interval

*I have configured the services like below:
*
# Generic  Service2 definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        service_description             PING
        check_command                   check_ping

       }

*My Host file is defined as follows
*define command{
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 300.0,80%
-c 5000.0,100% -p 1
        }

# 'Generic host definition 2
define host{
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r