Mail response time

scott_yem at agilent.com scott_yem at agilent.com
Tue Dec 7 18:30:53 CET 2004

The way you have stated the issue, you have the configuration setup to
check 3 times before notification with retry interval of 1 minute.  That
would equate to at minimum 2 minutes before notification.  As Jan has
mentioned, your mail system may be slow, but you can check the
notification time in your nagios logs.  If you need this to notify after
1 minute, you will have to set this up to max_check_attempts=2.

As for the notification_interval, I have several set to shorter times,
like 60 minutes and all are working well.  I have even tested this with
as little as 2 minutes and all still works.  Sometimes notification
takes some time, depending on the load of the system doing the
notification.  All timing is pretty consistent for the most part.  Your
problem may be related to the message of duplicate content as I have
seen in the past with other systems.  You can put the $DATETIME$ macro
into the script that is essentially putting a serial number into the
message.  It also tells you how long the message takes to deliver.  This
may actually be a test for your earlier question.

I have been using Nagios for about 2 months now and all this information
is in the manual.  Take some time and go through it.  I have had to read
it several times and each time get some more information.  Don't assume
that the information is all in one place though.  I have found several
topics that are in 3 to 4 places in the manual with different
information, some are more complete than others.

Scott Yem
Research Computing Services
Agilent Laboratories