Long-running Nagios - sudden CGI problems

Ryan Tassotti Ryan.Tassotti at brisbane.qld.gov.au
Wed Dec 8 03:02:28 CET 2004

Hi Kimmo,

We get this error too occasionally.....

I think I have narrowed it down to having a Nagios configuration file open for editing, while nagios is running.  ie. We have a hosts_novell_prod.cfg file, which details the host configurations of our Netware boxes.  If I open this file for editing and get distracted, in a few minutes the Nagios web page kicks me out with the same error you described.

HTH,
Ryan.

>>> Kimmo Jaskari <kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi> 12/07/04 11:26pm >>>
This will be lengthy, but I thought I'd better include as much info as
possible.

Been running Nagios 1.2 a while now and everything has worked just fine
for months. Nagios itself still runs and will no doubt fire off alerts
if and when a problem occurs. However...

Suddenly I find that the CGI's refuse to run, giving me the following
error in the web interface:

"It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for
any of the services you requested...

If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication
requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file."

- I've checked and the settings in Apache (in httpd.conf) are intact
- the htpasswd.users file in the Nagios etc directory is there and
intact
- the .htaccess files in the http-file directory and the sbin cgi
directory are intact and contain the proper info, namely:

AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /opt/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
require valid-user

- files are owned by nagios:nagios and have rwx permissions for the
nagios user and r-x for all others (at the moment).
- cgi.cfg has:

use_authentication=1

I temporarily put a * at the end of all the "authorized_for_*"
directives just in case, no effect.

I'm stumped. I have no idea where else to look at this point.

If anyone has any ideas, no matter how farfetched, please chime in.
Thanks!

/Kimmo

This message was received from the Internet.
Please exercise caution with the message and any attachments.

This message has passed through an insecure network.
Please direct all enquires to the message author.