Long-running Nagios - sudden CGI problems

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Wed Dec 8 13:03:45 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:02 +1000, Ryan Tassotti wrote:

> I think I have narrowed it down to having a Nagios configuration file open for editing, while nagios is running.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I did check. Alas, that is not the
problem.

(snip)

> Suddenly I find that the CGI's refuse to run, giving me the following
> error in the web interface:

I've narrowed it down to the file I use to record my Solaris servers in
(thanks, Marc), but I have no idea WHY there is a problem. It only
breaks the web interface, not the monitoring and alerting bit.

I removed that particular config file entirely and tried running Nagios
with only the files containing Windows servers and other miscellany and
lo and behold, the web interface worked fine and CGI's displayed data as
per usual.

I've checked and rechecked the file visually and can't find anything
that stands out. It passes the "-v test" without any problems,
monitoring works but the web interface is not working.

Does anyone know or suspect what type of problem in a config file might
cause the CGI's to barf while Nagios itself cheerfully accepts it and
runs?

/Kimmo